Writer/Director Gabriela Barreto, Executive Producer Cassio Nobre, and Associate Professor of Anthropology, Universidade Federal do Recôncavo da Bahia Xavier Vatin are scheduled to be present for a virtual conversation and interactive Q&A moderated by Founding Director of IU Graduate Mentoring Center Maria Hamilton Abegunde and IU Professor of Folklore and Ethnomusicology and Editor of Journal of Folklore Research Solimar Otero.
Join us for a virtual conversation on the documentary Memórias Afro-Atlânticas hosted in partnership with the IU Institute for Advanced Study. This event is the Institute’s Fall 2020 Branigin Lecture.
Be sure to download the free online meeting platform Zoom to your computer or phone to be able to access this virtual event and sign up to join the November 20 Zoom event via this link.
We encourage you to watch the film Memórias Afro-Atlânticas before joining us for this event. Only those registered for the November 20 event via Zoom will have access to the film.
In Brazil, November 20 is celebrated annually as Dia da Consciência Negra, Black Consciousness Day. The day celebrates Afro-Brazilians and their contributions to Brazilian society while reflecting on the injustices of slavery. Learn more about Brazil’s Black Consciousness Day.
This event is sponsored by the Institute for Advanced Study and the IU Cinema, along with co-sponsors: the Archives of Traditional Music, the Black Film Center/Archive, the Center for Documentary Research and Practice, the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, the Center for Research on Race and Ethnicity in Society, the Center for the Study of Global Change, the IU Arts and Humanities Council, the IU Libraries, and the Departments of African Studies, Anthropology, Folklore and Ethnomusicology, and Religious Studies.
Participating in this panel are:
- Gabriela Barreto, Director, Memórias Afro-Atlânticas
- Suzanne Godby Ingalsbe, Associate Director, Institute for Advanced Study, Indiana University
- Maria Hamilton Abegunde, Founding Director of the Graduate Mentoring Center, Indiana University
- Cassio Nobre, Director, Couraça Criações Culturais; musician; musicologist; music producer; Executive Producer, Memórias Afro-Atlânticas
- Solimar Otero, Professor, Folklore and Ethnomusicology, Indiana University; Editor, Journal of Folklore Research
- Xavier Vatin, Associate Professor of Anthropology, Universidade Federal do Recôncavo da Bahia, Brazil